Upminster Windmill was built by James Nokes, a local farmer, in 1803. It is a Grade II* listed building and in terms of quality, completeness and significance it is widely considered to be amongst the very best remaining English smock mills.
Flour was produced until 1910 though the Mill continued to grind animal feed until 1934, by which time further production was uneconomic. The Mill and its many outbuildings, including two mill houses, then became derelict.
In 1960 Essex County Council demolished the outbuildings though in the following years repairs were undertaken enabling the Mill to be opened to the public, staffed by volunteers, in 1967.
© 2000 - 2018 — local.angle group, All rights reserved.lightweight